HAITI

HAITI
ORPHANS AFTER THE QUAKE

WELCOME TO MY WORLD

Thanks for dropping in. I hope you enjoy the blog. Please feel free to leave feedback.
Judy Kucko

Search This Blog

Pages

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Communicating

I've been in Korea now for five months. In many ways, it has gone by so quickly. I'm anxious to learn more Korean so that I can communicate with the people better. If you don't learn the language you really are stuck in a limbo of semi darkness. It's necessary to get into the people's heads to completely understand the culture. So many things here are similar to American culture--I call the Koreans yuppies. They seem to be most interested in cell phones, large cars, FASHION and making money. However, it's the other side I am most interested in knowing. The ones who grow the crops, live in villages, fish for a living. I've visited all of these senarios, but I'm unable to communicate. Christianity is big here. Airports are jammed in the summer with large groups going on mission trips. Going to and from China, there were several large groups stopping to pray in the airports before and after flights. It was heartwarming. Most of the men wore safari hats. I wanted to ask about their trips but didn't know the words. I'm looking for a tutor and may have found one. Hopefully, I'll hear something next week on that. Time keeps ticking on by.

No comments: